Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Limits

Elbert Hubbard once said ~ Every man is a damn fool
for at least five minutes every day; wisdom consists
in not exceeding the limit.

Today I have completely failed in not exceeding my limit.
It is presently 4am in the morning (and if the fact that I
just wrote 4am followed by in the morning clues you in
to how tired I might just be) and I am still at work. It
really should not be a surprise I am still at work with my
new, wonderfully terrible schedule in this 24 hour office I
have the utmost pleasure of working in. What might
come to a surprise to some of you is that I have been here
in this mildly comfortable, seriously ugly, blue chair since
1pm today.. So, by the time I leave at 6am, I will have
been at work for 17 hours. No, my company does not
require that I slave away at work for a constant 17 hours,
it is actually one of the perks (which is what I call it when I
have am not working what we call a double) of my job that
I can work these long days with out extra pay, for extra
days off with pay later on.. basically shift trading around.
You might all be asking where really is the lack of wisdom
in my working now for time off later -
That folks is not my failure - it would be the fact that
at some point during the day I decided it would be a good
idea to keep my plans to head to the gym for my 6AM
workout, which I will keep as I am meeting people there.
Which brings me to another quote:
"The older I grow the more I distrust the familiar doctrine
that age brings wisdom.
" H. L. Mencken -


1 comment:

Suzie said...

I hope the crazy hours work out to be a totally sweet trip. I'm totally jealous of all the awesome places you get to go. Suz and I are still trying to find a time where we can get to Hawaii to visit her mission. Maybe this summer.